|Sunrise Rail Extension Open!
Passengers are now welcome on all trains running along the brand new Sunrise Light Rail Extension. Due to the National Day of Mourning on Friday, the opening of the extension was not as grand as originally intended but riders still showed up at all three new stations to take advantage of this newest form of transportation along the 50 Corridor. Friday through Sunday, passengers can pick up free tickets at the Sunrise, Cordova Town Center and Zinfandel stations. Typical fare service begins Monday morning. Regular fare is $1.50 for 90 minutes. The extension will continue to the City of Folsom in 2005.
Ramp metering begins 21st
Caltran's Traffic Operations Division will be turning on the ramp meter at the 15th Street onramp to westbound U 50 on Monday morning, June 21 (6-9 a.m.) Currently this meter is only activated in the afternoon.
Rail work moves downtown
The following work is scheduled for Downtown Sacramento this summer in preparation for the .7 mile extension of light rail from K Street to the Amtrak Depot:
- 7th Street between K and H Streets - RT will be installing a new 48" sewer line along 7th Street. This work will require two-week closures of each block of 7th and K and 7th and J
- Merchant Alley, near 8th Street - SMUD will be doing ductbank and manhole work
- 8th Street between K & H Street - Installation of a new 8" water line. SMUD ductbank and manhole work will also take place and will require on-going lane closures mainly on the east side of 8th Street.
- H Street between 5th & 7th Streets - SMUD ductbank and manhole work will continue requiring lane closures and blocking of some parking on the south side of H Street.
- I Street between 5th & 9th Streets -RT will be installing a new 42" water line along the west side of I Street. The work will require on-going closures of the right-hand lane and parking areas on the north side of I Street.
- J Street between 7th & 8th Streets - SMUD ductbank and manhole work.
- K Street between 7th & 8th Streets - SMUD ductbank and manhole work will continue, requiring pedestrian detours along K Street Mall.
Open House Scheduled
The public is invited to an open house on Tuesday, June 15 anytime between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the Library
Galleria (828 I Street). RT staff will give an update on the .7 mile downtown light rail extension and discuss the upcoming utility and light
rail work. City of Sacramento staff will also be present to answer City related questions.
Later this year, RT will begin construction on a .7 mile extension of light rail extension from K Street to the current Amtrak Depot
(Sacramento Valley Station). Prior to any track construction taking place, a number of utility improvement projects are planned as part of
this extension. These utility projects will take place on 7th Street, 8th Street, K Street, H Street and on I Street. All businesses will
remain open and access maintained during this utility work.